Nephew's got a cold today, and Aunt 'Ni is making sure he's on the couch resting or in bed resting, because he's got to get better soon. Poor boy.
Just the sniffles and a cough, but his energy level's way low, and that's not good.
I'm not feeling too great myself today. Meh.
You find that when your friends visit, you automatically give each person their drinks in a cup of a color that corresponds to their elemental nature...
The top five interests are:
Tori Amos is the artist that the most people say they're interested in.
Anime is more popular than any kind of drug or drugs.
I gave Darkside this bumper sticker: Anime: Drugs Would Be Cheaper. He hasn't put it on his car (I think something to do with his parents) but he loves it.
I miss seeing you outside of school, Darkside. Have the golf aliens abducted you again today?
I think there are too many laws and rules against things that people could hurt themselves doing, and too few guidelines on how to do these things properly and safely.
Is there such a thing as an intellectual slut?
I speak of someone who has an active intelligent mind, but someone who constantly seeks out new ideas, new experiences, absorbs that idea or philosophy thoroughly, and then moves on to the next?
After a while, this person's mind would get all stretched-out and loose, positively dripping with the juices of all the ideas that had expanded it before ...
...if only so many philosophies did not suffer from disease, this person's mind, their intellect, their conversation would sound so attractive...
...and is there an analogue of a venereal disease for the mind? Some disease of the psyche that you must be extraordinarily intimate with the person in order to contract? Some contagious philosophy that only those who have been "dicked in the nob" will know...?
By now everyone has been hearing the death toll rise and reports of the destruction from the terrorist attacks on the US. These were deplorable acts that we will never forget. But now is a time to look at the other side of the numbers coming out of New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.
The sad but somewhat uplifting side that the mainstream media has not reported yet is the SURVIVAL rates and some positive news about the attacks.
*** The Buildings ***
The World Trade Center
The twin towers of the World Trade Center were places of employment for some 50,000 people. With the missing list of just over 5,000 people, that means 90% of the people targeted survived the attack.
Some 23,000 people were the target of a third plane aimed at the Pentagon. The latest count shows that only 123 lost their lives. That is an amazing 99.5% survival rate. In addition, the plane seems to have come in too low, too early to affect a large portion of the building. On top of that, the section that was hit was the first of five sections to undergo renovations that would help protect the Pentagon from terrorist attacks. It had recently completed
straightening and blast proofing, saving untold lives. This attack was sad, but a statistical failure.
*** The Planes ***
American Airlines Flight 77
This Boeing 757 that was flown into the outside of the Pentagon could have carried up to 289 people, yet only 64 were aboard. Luckily 78% of the seats were empty.
American Airlines Flight 11
This Boeing 767 could have had up to 351 people aboard, but only carried 92. Thankfully 74% of the seats were unfilled.
United Airlines Flight 175
Another Boeing 767 that could have sat 351 people only had 65 people on board. Fortunately it was 81% empty.
United Airlines Flight 93
This Boeing 757 was one of the most uplifting stories yet. The smallest flight to be hijacked with only 45 people aboard out of a possible 289 had 84% of its capacity unused. Yet these people stood up to the attackers and thwarted a fourth attempted destruction of a national landmark, saving untold numbers of lives in the process.
*** In Summary ***
Out of potentially 74,280 Americans directly targeted by these inept cowards, 93% survived or avoided the attacks. That's a higher survival rate than heart attacks, breast cancer, kidney transplants and liver transplants -- all common, survivable illnesses.
The Hijacked planes were mostly empty, the Pentagon was hit at it's strongest point, the overwhelming majority of people in the World Trade Center buildings escaped, and a handful of passengers gave the ultimate sacrifice to save even more lives.
Don't fear these terrorists. The odds are against them.
Shriners Hospital for Children-Houston
You know how they get. When you start making out with one, all the rest line up and try to shove their way to you.
This afternoon, after Sis got home and was resting her aching feet, I finally had time to give the cat a hug. Our tomcat, Shamash, has been a hyper teenage cat lately, and hasn't been holding still enough to be petted properly lately, not since the first time Adam came over and we started out petting the cat and ended up with Adam petting me, and the cat getting ignored completely.
Today, when the cat was finally sitting still on the couch and looking all cozy, I knelt down next to the couch and petted him, and touched noses to him in a friendly way, just as I often do.
Today, instead of purring and blinking at me, Shamash opened his mouth, stuck out his tongue, and tried to lick my lips and stick his tongue in my mouth.
"The hell?" I said, and watched in great confusion as the cat then reached his front paws for my chest.
"Stick to your own species, Shamash!" Sis scolded, then burst out laughing.
We finally figured that since Adam had gotten all my attention by sticking his tongue in my mouth and grabbing at my chest, Shamash was trying the same tactics. Cats, Sis says, can be astounding mimics.
Oy vey. All I need is Shamash hitting on me too, besides Darkside and Adam...
...and yes, next time when Adam comes over to "play", I'm definitely locking the door and locking the cat *out*... that's one complexity that our lack of a relationship can do perfectly well without.
THINGS I MUST REMEMBER WHEN I COME BACK AS A DOG...
1. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff.
2. I do not need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm lying under the coffee table.
3. I will not roll my toys behind the fridge, behind the sofa or under the bed.
4. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house.
5. I will not eat the cats' food, before they eat it or after they throw it up.
6. I will stop trying to find the few remaining pieces of clean carpet in the house when I am about to get sick.
7. I will not throw up in the car.
8. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc. just because I like the way they smell.
9. "Kitty box crunchies", although they are tasty, are not food.
10. I will not eat any more Kleenex or napkins and then redeposit them in the backyard after processing.
11. The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.
12. I will not chew my human's toothbrush and not tell them.
13. I will not chew crayons or pens, especially not the red ones, or my people will think I am hemorrhaging.
14. When in the car, I will not insist on having the window rolled down when it's raining outside.
15. We do not have a doorbell. I will not bark each time I hear one on TV.
16. I will not steal my mom's underwear and dance all over the backyard with it.
17. The sofa is not a face towel. Neither are Mom and dad's laps.
18. My head does not belong in the refrigerator.
19. I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for dad's driver's license and car registration.
20. I will not play tug-of-war with dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.
21. I will not eat mint flavored dental floss out of the bathroom garbage, because I don't want to have a string hanging out of my butt.
22. I will not play "roll around in the dirt" after just getting a bath.
23. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is not an acceptable way of saying hello.
24. I will not hump on any person's leg just because I thought it was the right thing to do.
25. I will not fart in my owners face while sleeping on the pillow next to their head.
26. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt across the carpet.
27. The toilet bowl is not a never ending water supply and, just because the water is blue, it doesn't mean it is cleaner.
28. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch when company is over.
29. Suddenly turning around and smelling my butt makes people put me outside.
30. The cat is not a squeaky toy so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it's usually not a good thing.