And I decided that I can't just keep having to go out for those, if I'm craving them this badly: I need to learn to cook them.
So the other day I bought a huge-ass container of fresh mushrooms.
I was craving them again today all throughout work, so when I got home, I decided to do something about it.
- 1 large package mushrooms, whole.
- Enough oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan. (Vegetable will do, but I suspect that one of the missing flavors is sesame oil; bad job I don't like sesame oil.)
- Garlic (granulated works for me), 1 or 2 good shakes, to taste.
- Onion (powder works for me), 1 good shake, to taste.
- Chinese 5-Spice powder, 1 pinch.
- Soy sauce, 1 liberal or several conservative splashes.
Oil in pan on stovetop. Mushrooms in pan. Spices on mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have shrunk visibly and are bubbling in their own tasty juices.
Cool before serving.
Disclaimer: no badgers were harmed in the making of this dish.