Previous Entry | Next Entry

There is something outside that is chirping. I think it is a road sign. They do that. I think it is a capacitor problem. It annoys me.

http://adamcadre.ac/content/brown/ -- Wikipedia Brown!

http://seferin.livejournal.com/295943.html -- via metaquotes. Trust me on the spellcheck. ;)

http://community.livejournal.com/lj_releases/22857.html -- more releases, nothing jumped out at me this time except for the shirts.

The chirping has stopped.

elyssa answered the phone when I really needed to hear a friendly human voice. This is a good thing.

This weekend is our highly-anticipated one-day weekend. Benefits: overtime.

Barking Phone Goon would be invited to kiss parts of me that she wouldn't like to kiss, except that I reserve those sorts of invitations for people I actually do like. She had a complaint about something she felt was unfair. I researched it. Hahahaha no. She's only considering 40% of the metric, and she is doing either average or very poorly in the other 60%. I clearly need to create a report that spits out some stuff on that front. This thing is to reward people who are doing above and beyond as balanced across all three parts of the scoring metric. Barking Phone Goon may be good at the one thing, but she's evidently not at the other two.

In semi-related news, the Older Office Lady is pulling stuff for my database. My docs are becoming more solid, and omg it is such a pleasure to not be the one doing all of it. She wants to sort things and take out records that she knows are irrelevant. I say no, because I'd rather include three hundred irrelevant records than take out one relevant one. She can sort all she wants, as long as the sorting doesn't break anything.

Today I was huffing off on a much-needed break when the Tech Guy from our training class flagged me down. He looked lost, confused, and very small in his mini-cube. He asked me if I knew of another way to get the name of a server when it can't be found through the My Network Places route.
"Punch the network admin until a name falls out?" I answered flippantly, then started to zoom off. A tech power greater than my general level of frustration brought me up short, and right around back to him. I thought through a few ways that I might try it, but came up short. "...I think I was right the first time. Ask the network admin? ... Don't tell me he's the network admin."
Fortunately, the customer wasn't. Unfortunately, the customer couldn't get in touch with same, and going over to the box and getting the name directly off the box was not an option either.

But that's not the sort of question you ask someone who's below you in the tech pecking order. I'm very sensitive to the tech pecking order. Right now the guy with the red cube badge is treating me like a Promising Youth, which is making me roll over and show my unsecured vulnerabilities. (That is a bizarre crossover of my submissive nature and my geek nature. I don't 100% understand it myself, but that's a good response. Just not a safe one.) But my classmate there, someone whose geek cred I respect, treated me as an equal. That really helps make me feel like I'm not just faking it.

The training supervisor said there's something about Thursdays. I'm feeling it. I'm so feeling it.
Gone away, gone ahead,
Echoes roll unanswered.
Empty, open, dusty, dead.
Why have all the Weyrfolk fled?

Where have dragons gone together
Leaving weyrs to wind and weather,
Setting herdbeasts free of tether;
Gone, our safeguards, gone, but whither?

Have they flown to some new weyr
Where cruel Threads some others fear?
Are they worlds away from here?
Why, oh why the empty weyr?

-- "The Question Song", Anne McCaffrey
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by yoksel