Tired of all of those surveys made up by high school kids?
'Have you ever kissed someone?'
'Told someone you loved them?'
Here are 50 questions for the people who are a little more "mature"...
1. What bill(s) do you hate paying the most?
Anything unexpected. Or anything that I actually have to sit down and pay with a paper check or by visiting a place I'm not comfortable with online. I prefer getting regular bills automated.
2. Where was the last place you had a romantic time?
I really can't think of anything that genuinely counts, right now. If I had to pick "thought it was romantic at the time", probably hanging out with Darkside at his place. We're comfortable with each other, and even hanging out was sweet.
3. Do you regret losing your virginity to who you lost it to?
No, not really. We talked about that, later. It was my high school best friend, Shawn. I was madly in love with him, and he cared for me at least some. The next person I had sex with would have been regrettable had he also been my first time, and that's when Shawn and I talked about it.
4. If you could go back and change one thing what would it be?
There's a thing that would not have happened. Am I a bad person to want to change that thing rather than someone dying? If I had two things, I would save her too. But this is closer. But if this is about things I've done ... there are a thousand little thoughtless things I'd rather have not done. Very few big ones.
5. Name of your first grade teacher?
6. What do you really want to be doing right now?
Sleeping, actually. It's bedtime.
7. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
A teacher or a writer. I've always loved books and the learning process.
8. How many colleges did you attend?
No degrees either place, but the University of Alaska Fairbanks for a few classes, and then nearly all the way through a BS in Computer Information Systems from DeVry in Phoenix.
9. Why did you choose the shirt that you have on right now?
It was next up in the clean laundry.
10. What are your thoughts on gas prices?
They're cheap in the US compared to a whole lot of other places, and that concerns me.
11. If you could move anywhere and take someone with you who and where?
San Francisco. I left my heart there, after all. I don't really have anyone who needs to be with me, so I might take one of my LJ people, or Darkside, because he was talking about California with the same kind of wistful note in his voice.
12. First thought when the alarm went off this morning?
It didn't. This is my weekend. But I did think it was still night.
13. Last thought before going to sleep last night?
Last part I remember involved loneliness of some variety.
14. Favorite style of underwear?
Soft cotton, either bikini or granny, but most absolutely not g-string or nylon.
16. What errand/chore do you despise?
Anything that breaks my routines. I work to get everything included, but there are one-off things that are loathsome because they're not optional and they're disruptive.
17. If you didn't have to work, would you volunteer?
I do have to work, and I do volunteer, and if I didn't have to work, I could spend all day doing productive things for LJ. So yes.
18. Get up early or sleep in?
Sleep in when I can, because work has me getting up early.
19. What is your favorite cartoon character?
Vash the Stampede. He is principled as well as being powerful and wacky.
20. Favorite thing to do at night with a girl/guy?
Snuggle and let the darkness bring out the words that can't be said in the light.
21. Have you found real love yet?
I thought I had, but it was too asymmetrical to maintain properly.
22. When did you first start feeling old?
When I realized the Little Fayoumis thought of me as an adult and a role model.
23. Favorite 80's movie?
I wasn't watching movies during the 80s, but if I had to pick, Heathers .
24. Your favorite lunch meat?
Roast beef. On sourdough. With mayo, mustard, lots of lettuce or sprouts, and a pickle on the side. Oh, and onions.
25. What do you get every time you go into Sam's Club?
Nostalgic. I used to work in one.
26. Beach or lake?
Beach. I like the wildness of the open water.
27. Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual?
Not really. The urge for human bonding is still going to be around as long as humans are around to bond. I do think some of the trappings and restrictions are outdated. I don't care how many consenting adults are in one, for example, as long as they're all consenting adults and the consent is given freely.
28. Do you own property?
29. Favorite guilty pleasure?
I read sappy romance. Mostly it's fanfic, though I have been known to find an actual dead tree romance novel or two. If I'm buying them, I stick with authors I trust not to do me wrong. If I'm getting the book for free, I'll read anything, and probably die laughing.
31. What's your drink?
Ice water. If you mean booze, it's coke and amaretto. If it's soda, it's Livewire all the way.
32. Cowboys or Indians?
33. Cops or Robbers?
Depends on the cop or the robber. If the cop is Jackie Chan, then cops all the way!
34. Who from high school would you like to run into?
That I don't keep up with and don't have contact info for? Either "Scotty" or Galadriel. "Scotty" moved away after freshman year, and I regret fucking things up so badly, because we could have otherwise gotten along. Galadriel is out of touch, though apparently having fun. I miss her.
35. What radio station is your car radio tuned to right now?
I think it's the NPR (classical version) -- there's also, IIRC, a local jazz version. It switches between that, the "holy shit, this shouldn't be oldies yet, we're too young for that still!" station, and the dance hits station. (The dance hits station knows that its primary listener demographic is gayboys. It's awesome.)
36. Norm or Cliff?
37. The Cosbys or the Simpsons?
Um, that would require watching television at all.
38. Worst relationship mistake that you wish you could take back?
I'll chalk the entire "Scotty" incident up to a learning experience, but the Terrible Tuesday stuff really hurt the Lady E. I wish I could go back and leave her out of all of that.
39. Do you like the person who sits directly across from you at work?
Right now there's no one in the closest cube neighboring mine that I face. A further cube that I face holds Mr. Pointy, and he's all right. The cube behind me has a competent and fun lady in it, and the one across the aisle from me has someone on another team. I certainly don't dislike any of them.
40. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?
Lois McMaster Bujold.
41. Indoors or Outdoors?
42. Have you ever crashed your vehicle?
Technically, it was Mama's. Yes. Into a snowbank. The damage was minor.
43. Have you ever had to use a fire extinguisher for its intended purpose?
Thankfully, no, nor have I needed to assist anyone else in doing the same. When one of Dad's bits of electronics started spontaneously smoldering, he unplugged it and tossed it out into the snow. All the other incidents were small kitchen fires.
44. Last book you read for real?
I believe it was Memory, a re-read.
45. Do you have a teddy bear?
I'm sure somewhere. Instead of hugging a stuffed animal when I sleep, I hold rocks in my hands and hug an ice-water bottle most of the year.
46. Strangest place you have ever brushed your teeth?
I routinely brush them in the shower, and I've brushed them in the car a few times.
47. Somewhere in California you've never been and would like to go?
LJ HQ. ♥
48. Do you go to church?
No. I'm a lot too pagan to be comfortable in most church services, and a little too violent to be a good Quaker. I'm a little too solitary to have collected a regularly practicing circle, either.
49. At this point in your life would you rather start a new career or a new relationship?
New relationship. My career is going places, and I rather like it. I'm not in a relationship at the moment, so I wouldn't be opposed to starting up a new one if something came along.
50. Just how OLD are you?
27; 28 as of June. Spring chicken. :-P